Choosing Different Types of Home Insulation
Some of us remember when the only option around were the rolls of pink insulation. And maybe that if you touched this pink stuff it made you itch like itching powder. However, things have changed a great deal in the past few years in regards to insulation.
For one thing, you can choose different types depending on where in the house it will be. Here are some of the options:
- Attic – where you may have helped at one time roll that pink stuff we just talked about. Now, the more common approach is blown-in dry cellulose. As the name implies, this is usually foam that is blown into place through a hose-like piece of equipment. Commonly, this is constructed of shredded newspaper that is then treated to become fire resistant.
- Slab – A home without a basement often sits on a slab, a practice common in areas like Florida where there are few basements. Code usually requires that the slab be insulated. For a slab to be insulated, usually a rigid foam board is used. By keeping the soil surrounding the slab warmer this keeps the slab (and ultimately the home) warmer.
- Foundation Walls – Some areas are required by code to include home insulation in the foundation walls. Rigid fiberglass is most commonly used in this situation. This is commonly run from the wall sheathing to the foundation wall.
- Exterior walls – This is another area where all building codes require insulation. There are several options for insulating this area but fiberglass batt insulation is the most commonly used. This is made of loose matted fibers formed like a blanket and makes it resistant to fire.
Getting Professional Work Done
The truth of the matter is, whoever you work with should know which type of insulation is best for what situation. At least a true professional can discuss with you the options and help you make the best choice for your situation.
When you discuss this home renovation project with someone they should talk about three things:
- Which type of insulation to use
- Where it will be installed
- How much you will need
From there, this should help determine the price you are being quoted.
Trust Only True Experts
At Southeastern Insulation we have the knowledge and experience to make important decisions about your insulation project and can discuss your options. We have been working in this field since 2006 and have extensive hands on experience about the business. From commercial to residential, let us work with you to take care of your home renovation projects.
- Top Atlanta Home Insulation Types
The Department of Energy in the United States roughly estimates that about 50-70 % of the energy that Americans used in their homes generally comes from cooling and heating. This figure can be decreased by a considerable amount through the use of an apparatus called home insulation. This apparatus can help reduce the energy consumption…Read More
- What An Atlanta Radiant Heat Barrier Means For You
Do you feel like the hot sun is constantly beating down on your house? Installing an Atlanta radiant heat barrier is a great solution to this dilemma you are facing. They are an excellent way to be energy efficient as they reflect sunlight from your house and make it easier for you to retain a constant, comfortable…Read More